Hiking & Backpacking Workshop - RED RIVER, NM - Aug 30 & 31
This is a comprehensive class for people who want to learn more about backpacking, hiking, etc. This class is perfect if you're a beginner or intermediate level hiker. You'll gain skills and knowledge that will help ensure that you safely get the most enjoyment from any hike!
This class will take place in Red River NM on August 30-31 2019 beginning at 8:00 am each day.
We limit enrollment to only a few people to ensure the highest levels of personal interaction and attention. Our objective is to give you the knowledge, confidence, and starting experience to plan and execute your first backcountry adventure.
ENROLL EARLY, or you may miss this opportunity! By purchasing this ticket, you are enrolling one person in the class. We'll send you an email shortly after your order to confirm and get some final details from you.
You'll learn about:
- Safety before, during, and after your hike.
- Planning (trail selection, routes, resupply, logistics, etc)
- What NOT to bring
- Clothing selection
- First Aid and how to deal with various backcountry emergencies
- Food prep, selection
- Wildlife safety
- Leave No Trace
On Friday, we will discuss all of the topics listed above, answer your questions, evaluate your gear and make suggestions.
On Saturday morning we will meet at a trailhead, and execute a ~4-mile guided hike. After this hike we will meet at Red River Brewing Company to discuss the morning's hike.
- Breakfast on August 30
- Late lunch / dinner on August 31
- All course material and tuition
- Completion Certificate
- Individual and group photos, 5x7
- (2) 1L SmartWater bottles
- (1) Sawyer Mini water filter
- (1) Flybox SQ1 Solar Power Bank
What to Bring:
- A backpack, preferably the one you intend to use on future trips.
- Appropriate clothing for your hike (see suggested clothing list below)
- Any medications that you may need
- Rain Jacket
- Any gear that you'd like for us to discuss with you! We'll be happy to evaluate your kit and help you get honed for your next trip!
What NOT to Bring:
- Large "survival" knives
Terms and Conditions:
- No refunds for a no-show regardless of reason.
- No refunds after August 16 2019
- By placing an order for this trip, your release all guides and/or associated companies associated with this offering from any and all liability or recourse for any reason, including negligence.
- No pets
- Bad attitudes &/or confrontational behavior will never be tolerated. Anyone with a bad attitude or bullying behavior will be asked to leave, and will not receive a refund. We're all here to learn and have fun.
- If you intentionally damage anything in the wilderness, including carving on trees or rocks, littering, killing, hurting, or disturbing wildlife we will photograph both you and your handiwork for public publication, and you'll be asked to leave without refund. Any criminal acts will be reported to local authorities.
- If weather forces us to cancel the day hike, we will work with you to reschedule or offer a partial refund.
- HAVE FUN!
Suggested Clothing & Gear List:
- synthetic fabrics ONLY, except socks
- Convertible pants
- Injinji brand wool toe sock liners
- Heavy wool hiker sock
- sturdy footwear, trail runner shoe suggested
- long sleeve shirt
- hat with sun protection, either wide brim or with "dog ears"
- polarized sunglasses
- jacket (sometimes temps can drop rapidly during unexpected weather changes)
- Trekking poles suggested
- gloves (1/2 finger Glacier Glove is my favorite)
- underwear (guys, check out Saxx or Exofficio)
- Hand sanitizer
- Small plastic spade, Caughlin's brand from Wal-Mart is perfect
- Toilet tissue
- Medications that you may need
Please email Admin@FlyboxGadgets.com with any questions!